Imagine that you bought a new smartphone and need to customize it according to the norms of your country (time zone, date and time formats, language selection, text input, menu, etc.) The situation is the same with software offered by the development teams for application. It is significant that each software and content is placed in the device system in an easy and considerable way.
Moreover, your business growth strategy can succeed if every moment of the software development is thought out to the tiniest detail. It is too significant to engage all the additional resources for the development of the application.
In this post, we will define the key goal of the localization option when designing software aimed at the target market and markets.
Definition of software localization
The software localization process (abbreviation L10n) is the way of adapting software or as well translation process of the resource files into different languages for potential customers, who can get your software in the source language, even the native language. Such a fact can aim to supply your software product to multiple markets. In any case, localization workflow demands strict modification of the files, client interface, design of the software, etc.
As a fact, localization always goes beyond the process of simple translation, as it takes into account local laws, cultural norms and context to ensure with no doubt that the software is functional and culturally appropriate for the key audience and specific location. This process allows the numerous software designers to expand their market, where they deliver their services and products on the global level and provide a more relevant client and personalized experience for various locales.
Aspects of the software localization process
Since the localization statement is the process of adapting a certain product to multiple languages for a more global target audience, in such a unit we are to take a strict look at all the settings that are needed to demonstrate localized content in different localizations.
The top parameters according to each country:
- The code of region and country.
- The language code is used when some significant cultural items with the specific language need to be considered.
- Local time/date formats.
- Local currency formats.
- Writing systems — for instance, let's take the left to right languages, such as Ukrainian, English and German — as they are Western European languages. As for Arabian languages, Hebrish and etc. — they are defined as the right to left languages. Speaking about Asian languages — the writing systems are both horizontal and vertical.
By the way, some types of languages need to have their own translation memory.
The key items of each type of translation are explained in the range below:
- Simple translation: The key goal lies in accessibility for those who speak the target language. This method, as a rule, just provides converting one language to another by saving the translated text from context completely.
- Localization technology: When applying the software localization tool is available to get the needed final outcomes on a global or local market front. Such software development is capable of involving additional sources and tools according to particular technical aspects.
The essentials of the software localization process
The value of such a type of technology is totally visible. As a rule, it plays a critical role in the whole expanding the coverage and impact of various software production and services on a so-called global scale. Several actual factors stress the significant meaning of software localization:
- Progressive Communication: In this concept lies the process of accurate translation and adaptation of the software localization content aids in progressive communication with potential consumers from all around the world. In deed it just minimizes possible misunderstandings, progresses clarity, and fosters a stronger connection with the target people;
- Regulative of Compliance: Each region may have specific legal requirements regarding software content, such as client rights or personal data protection. True software localization maintains compliance with local regulations and laws;
- Money Savings: Investing your money in localisation technology can yield budget savings for a long period of time. It reduces the demand for separate, some region-specific software versions and support, streamlining progress and maintenance efforts;
- Progressed Experience of Users: The appliers with a higher chance will engage with software that was designed in their native language and aligns with all their cultural features without any bugs. The localization process ensures that the content, user interface, and also functions are adapted to the local desires, resulting in a more satisfying, convenient and comprehensive application experience;
- Successful access to the Diverse Markets: By localizing a software, developers are to access new markets with different cultures, languages, and preferences. This widens the potential user base, leading to high adoption and revenue capabilities;
- Cultural responsiveness: Localizing software programs demonstrates us cultural sensibility and respect for the diversity of laws. It allows potential cultural challenges or offensive content, thanks to promoting a positive cognition of the brand;
- Partnership Opportunities: Due to this software development process the doors to partnerships with local business spheres and organizations, leading to collaborations that leverage regional expertise and resources will be opened for you.
The software localization tool range
The set of tools for the appropriate type of app is also designed by the developer to improve the design, interface, and language quality:
- Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tools assist during the whole process of human translation with translation accuracy, efforting such functions as terminology management website localization, translation memory, etc. to localize the translation content quickly.
- Internationalization (I18n) technology helps to prepare the codes from the software for translation of the resource files and not only. The success of internationalized software is guaranteed.
- TMS (Translation Management Systems) provide for the ability to give tasks to translators, to track the working progress and etc.
- Resource File Editors give the opportunity for translators to work directly with source files to provide maximum translation accuracy.
- Localization Management Platforms assist the designer team to manage the whole localization workflow continuously.
- QA (Quality Assurance). The QA option is essential to control the text quality. This technology also aids the editors to check the written text for any mistakes and bugs in it.
- Terminology Management: The challenge of this technology lies in maintaining the centralized database of the adapted terminology, providing the entire process of translation alignment in all versions of the already localized software.
The user interface localization in the software
You have the chance to make localized interfaces for your potential and already regular buyers by rewriting all given strings for labels and hover aid with the localization keys. When the applier will run the application you've designed, the interface text occurs in the language associated with their locale if the translated string is accessible. Otherwise, the default text that is specified in the resource set is already applied.
Before the moment, when you will begin this process:
Our advice for you is to upload the localisation resource file you have or start creating it with the purpose to maintain the localization keys for the upcoming interfaces.
The range of the top services for software localization
Have you ever thought in what lies the reason various digital companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Google, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin and food corporations, for instance, McDonald's, KFC, Starbucks, and others are so prominent? It means due to the successful strategy and marketing materials the administration of each has built, the well-developed multilingual high-quality software tools with the specified services provided, with the ready assortment of products designed with a target to meet the preferences and tastes of customers of any faith and culture.
However, now we are going to discuss with our dear readers and consumers the pros of following software localization platforms:
- The Rask AI service in the digital area is considered a one-stop-shop tool essential for content creators and companies who desire to localize their videos of different topics in one click and start speaking the same language with their audiences worldwide;
- The SDL Trados Studio app is one more leading platform, aimed at content translation and localization of the list. It offers integrated tools for the process of translation, glossary management, automatic language translation, and translation quality control and other elements
- The Smartling platform means in brief a cloud-based, real-time automated localization service that contains project management tools and integration with various other platforms;
- The Crowdin service acts as an assistant for quick and progressive content localisation;
- The Transifex task lies in running localization with capable machine translation and quality assessment tools as it is considered an interactive software localization platform.